NORTHFIELD, Minnesota – The Carleton College women’s tennis team returns to the MIAC Playoffs finals after beating St. Catherine University 5-1 in the semifinals.
The Knights (14-1) took an early lead after winning two of their three doubles games. After an early deficit Mary Frances pants (Sun./Columbia, Mon./Rock Bridge) and Amelia Asfaw (Fy./Seattle, Wash./Seattle Prep), the sixth-placed duo in the Central Region, celebrated an 8-4 win over the region’s eighth-placed tandem, Kelsey Dorr and Sofia Walker.
Mariam Nechiporuk (Fy./Portland, Ore./Lake Oswego) and Ingrid Schmidt (Fy./Edina, Minn./Edina) added an 8-5 win in second place, while St. Catherine (12-4) scored his only team point with an 8-5 result in third place in the order scored
In singles, Nechiporuk extended the Carleton lead to 3-1 with her quick 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 3 in singles. Asfaw, the region’s No. 20, followed with a 6-4, 6-0 decision at No. 2 in singles, putting the Knights on the verge of victory. Shortly after, Smith won the match by a 6-3, 6-2 score in fourth place.
The contest was played to a conclusion, so action in the remaining games was halted after the Knights scored their fifth team point. The result almost came out Miriam Steyman (Fy./Plymouth, Minn./Wayzata) in place of Smith as the former led 6-1, 6-5 at No. 5 in singles as Carleton clinched the win.
Two players from the region were represented in singles match #1. Hose bounced back from a set down to send her match against Dorr into a decider but saw the fight stopped 4-6, 6-0.
The Wildcats were leading at No. 6 singles 7-6, 3-1 when play was stopped.
Next for the knights
Carleton is advancing to the MIAC Playoff Finals for the 10th time since the event debuted in 2007. The Knights take on top-flight Gustavus Adolphus College on Saturday, May 7 in St. Peter, Minnesota. This is the eighth time the two programs have met in the finals.
Saturday’s league game will be played at either 11:30 am or 1:00 pm, depending on the results of the men’s semi-finals on Friday night. Winner will receive MIAC’s automatic application to the 2022 NCAA Division III Women’s Tennis Tournament.
No. 11 Carleton College 5, No. 16 St Catherine University 1
competition in singles
1. #9 Mary Frances pants (CAR) vs. #6 Kelsey Dorr (SCU) 4-6, 6-0, unfinished
2. #20 Amelia Asfaw (AUTO) def. Sofia Walker (SCU) 6-4, 6-0
3. Mariam Nechiporuk (AUTO) def. Bri Dorr (SCU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Ingrid Schmidt (AUTO) def. Elsa Joly (SCU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Miriam Steyman (CAR) vs. Reilee Schepper (SCU) 6-1, 6-5, unfinished
6. Piper Brown (CAR) vs. Monica Zink (SCU) 6-7, 1-3, unfinished
competition in doubles
1. #6 Mary Frances pants/Amelia Asfaw (AUTO) def. #8 Kelsey Dorr/Sofia Walker (SCU) 8-4
2. Mariam Nechiporuk/Ingrid Schmidt (AUTO) def. Bri Dörr/Monica Zink (SCU) 8-5
3. Elsa Joly/Reilee Schepper (SCU) def. Taylor Thulson/Amanda Black (AUTO) 8-5